[ale] Karmic failure - missing device - mknod

wolf at wolfhalton.info wolf at wolfhalton.info
Mon Dec 21 14:32:42 EST 2009

Does it work from the live disk?
I had a similar failure with my sound card on 9.10
1.  I did an upgrade over the wire, which had always worked great with
Ubuntu before.
   1.1 Sound fails - card is seen by the system but not seen by
pulse-audio or any other GUI-side utility
2. Burned an iso of Ubuntu.
   2.1 Bare-metal install
   2.2 Sound failed (same apparent issue as 1.
3. Worked it over at the Install Fest with wiser help.
   3.1 The issue seemed to be that the installer program was jacked up,
and not able to set the mods right
   3.2 There were different link numbers to the kernel modules related
to this bit of hardware. Found with lsmod in live and installed
sessions.
4. Installed Kubuntu (clean install)
   4.1 The sound card was automagically available for use.
   4.2 The modules had the same linkages as they did from a session off
of the live disk
What's different?  Mine was an HP dv6000 laptop.  Apparently, lots of
people were having trouble with this model and sound.
What doesn't work now?  My hp multimedia button-bar at the top of the
keyboard is not rigged up in Kubuntu.  It is still limping because of
that.

You might be able to look at kernel modules related to the DVD drive.
Since the previous version worked, it would make sense that there was a
similar issue for your situation as for mine, though it is a different
kind of hardware.

-Wolf

This was something I hadn't seen for listing hardware lshw.
http://embraceubuntu.com/2007/02/18/find-hardware-specs-details-on-your-computer/