[ale] Testing Gmail + FireGPG take 2

Ed Cashin ecashin at noserose.net
Fri Dec 18 14:06:19 EST 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 6:11 PM, Ben Coleman <oloryn at benshome.net> wrote:

> Ed Cashin wrote:
>> Keeping the subject intact would be a great service to those ALE subscribers
>> for whom these threads are off topic, as GMail's "mute" feature cannot help
>> when the subject keeps changing.
>
> Sounds like GMail needs to learn to thread via the References header.

Maybe.  But assuming the subject header *should* reflect the real subject
matter of the email, it should only be changed if the topic changes.  And
when that happens, it's a new conversation, and I might be interested in
seeing it, even though I muted it when the old topic was being discussed.

The references headers show the extended history of the exchange, which
is interesting, but the subject header ideally would have more to do with
whether I'm interested in reading the email or not.

--
  Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net>
  http://noserose.net/e/