[ale] howto force "give root password" prompt

wolf at wolfhalton.info wolf at wolfhalton.info
Thu Dec 17 23:11:43 EST 2009

If it was a regular install, you could use a livedisk and poke around in
the fstab boot.lst and so on.
You could also see if you could single-user start-up from the boot menu,
but I am not sure if you are even getting as far as a boot menu
VMs have lots of eccentricities as compared to regular installs.

Can you look at the vm hard drive through your main filesystem?  It may
be just a set of large files in one of the (possibly hidden) vmware
folders (or virtualbox folders or whatever).

If it is not loaded with files or some-such precious things, just blow
it out and make a new one.  This is how my friends who manage data
centers seem to handle it.  Apparently VMWare server will do all of this
automagically.  I don't know how exactly they set their systems to do
that.

-Wolf