[ale] Eris Phone

Greg Clifton gccfof5 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 23:48:19 EST 2009

We had 3 Samsung Alias phones in the family until I lost mine at the junk
yard last month. They have been very rugged/durable. There was the one that
got run over in the driveway, broke both screens, but was still functional
enough to pull out my phone book. The replacement (from Ebay) even survived
being run over by the lawn mower and getting a bit of a nick in the case
from the blade. We have also had Env (didn't survive the "baptism")  Env2
(replaced 2x under warranty by Verizon) and the wife has a 6 month old Env3
that the hinge spring recently broke so that it doesn't snap and stay closed
. The Env's are nice, esp. if you text a lot, but don't seem to be as rugged
as the Alias's. I'm eligible for a replacement come Jan 7 and I'll probably
go with the Alias 2. I prefer the smaller size of flip phone over the candy
bar format and the "soft" keyboard of the Alias 2 is pretty cool. The screen
on the Droid is real nice, but I also won't pay and extra 40-50/mo for a
data plan. Those blood suckers already get ~ $200/mo from me and that is
plenty; I never miss an opportunity to tell Verizon so.

Now when someone comes out with an Android phone with CDMA + GSM + Wimax +
WiFi + SIP + 5MP camera (supporting video capture, of course), qwerty
keyboard and a battery that last all week for say $300, why that would be
nearly nirvana! I'm guessing 2-3 yrs. max till such a beast can be had (I'm
willing to be flexible on the price but as rough as I am on phones its gotta
be sub $500).

GC