[ale] Plasma fell over this morning

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 10:00:11 EST 2009

Hmm.  Plasma crashed on startup this morning on my Ubuntu 8.10 KDE 4.1
desktop.  Hard crash, completely repeatable.   Only on my main
development account -- it worked fine on other logins.

After fumbling around on google for a little from my laptop I moved
${HOME}/.kde/share/config/plasma-appletsrc and
${HOME}/.kde/share/config/plasmarc to a save directory.  Doing that
got plasma running, but naturally all of my desktop configuration was
reset to the Ubuntu shipped defaults.  Further investigation showed
that the bad file was in fact "plasma-appletsrc".  It looks
uncorrupted, but obviously something is bad wrong with it. I dutifully
restored my desktop best I could. Fortunately "plasma-appletrc" is a
human-readable file, so I was at least able to use it for reference.
Still don't really know what hit me.

-- CHS