[ale] email server

Brandon Checketts brandon at brandonchecketts.com
Mon Dec 14 12:24:19 EST 2009

You will need to have port 25 accessible to receive mail from the Internet.

If you want to send mail from the Internet, you may be able to use port
25 (although that is frequently blocked by ISPs, and especially from
free wifi connections).   The preference would be to use port 587 (SMTP
Submission) or alternatively port 465 (SMTP/SSL).

For picking up your mail you would need one of the following ports:
110 - POP3
995 - POP3/SSL
143 - IMAP
993 - IMAP/SSL

You could also use webmail running on a webserver (Port 80)

These are all standard port assignments, of course you can always tweak
 the configuration to use non-standard ports if you will be the only user.

Thanks,
Brandon