[ale] email server

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 13:08:12 EST 2009

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 11:56 AM, Paul Cartwright <ale at pcartwright.com>wrote:

> On Sun December 13 2009, Jim Kinney wrote:
> > While you can most likely send mail out without an MX record, you may not
> > be able to receive mail. Also many (most) ISP's will not allow mail to
> flow
> > through their systems unless the originating mail server has a valid MX
> > record so as to cut down on spam.
>
> ok, so.. I need to get am MX record, somehow.. added..??

Since you are doing this through free/tiny/dyndns, you'll need to review
their docs on how to add it. Basically you just need it to point to the same
place as your web server most likely.

> > Note: resize your pictures to the actual dimensions used in the HTML for
> > _much_ faster initial load in and add a link to get full hi-res version.
> > Your upload speed is way to slow for a page full of .5MB pics which are
> > only displayed at 10% full size :-)
>
> yeah, yeah, I'm a notepad-type web page creator, no fancy frills, and I'm
> not
> real good at working with images. when I have a week or 2 off, I'll play
> with
> that:)

chunk 'em through ImageMagic:
for pic in $(ls -1 *)
 do
  name=$(echo $pic| cut -f1 -d".")
  type=$(echo $pic | cut -f2 -d".")
  new_name=$name'-b.'$type
  convert $pic -scale 10% $new_name
done

> those pictures weren't meant for general population consumption, just
> basically for THE FAMILY..
> I need a full-featured program that will take a folder of pictures, compile
> them into a web page, with thumbnails.. something like gallery2 ( never
> able
> to get it to work..)
>

> > I like snow pics! Atlanta doesn't get much so it's always fun 'till the
> > power goes out!
>
> like last Wed. when that 120 foot tall red oak fell across our street,
> blocking my way to get to work, and turning off our power for 5 hours.. we
> missed the tornado that went by, a few miles from us, but it did manage to
> put out our power & phone ( DSL) for the day..
>

> --
> Paul Cartwright
> Registered Linux user # 367800
> Registered Ubuntu User #12459