[ale] email server

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 11:33:29 EST 2009

While you can most likely send mail out without an MX record, you may not be
able to receive mail. Also many (most) ISP's will not allow mail to flow
through their systems unless the originating mail server has a valid MX
record so as to cut down on spam.

Note: resize your pictures to the actual dimensions used in the HTML for
_much_ faster initial load in and add a link to get full hi-res version.
Your upload speed is way to slow for a page full of .5MB pics which are only
displayed at 10% full size :-)

I like snow pics! Atlanta doesn't get much so it's always fun 'till the
power goes out!

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 11:16 AM, Paul Cartwright <ale at pcartwright.com>wrote:

> On Sun December 13 2009, Michael Trausch wrote:
> > The simplest you can do is to get a GAFYD account and use that, which
> gives
> > more than mail and is free.  It would also remove the requirement to have
> > your box up all the time and then you don't have to manage the server.
>
> part of my reason for running linux was the eventual WANT, to host my own
> email at home.. my box stays up all the time anyway, that's what linux is
> FOR, right:)
>

> > Otherwise, the simplest is to just install Postfix and create an MX for
> the
> > domain to point it at the dyndns host that will be handing its mail.  On
> > debian/ubuntu that is as easy as installing the postfix package and going
> > through the configuration with debconf.
>
> well, I've tried that a few times, just yesterday i tried:
>
> http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual-users-domains-postfix-courier-mysql-squirrelmail-ubuntu-9.10
> and got all hosed up, so I reinstalled ubuntu, installed exim4, and ran
> dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config
> I THINK everything is where it is supposed to be, and I have evolution
> setup
> for my local user, and I sent myself a test message at
> pbc at pauls-server.homelinux.org and if sent, no errors, so maybe all I am
> missing now is an MX record? why do I need that, I thoght that was the
> whole
> point of DynDNS forwarding to my IP..
>
> at least the web server works, see http://pauls-server.homelinux.org
> why wouldn't email "just work" :)