[ale] looking for a truly Linux friendly camcorder

aaron aaron at pd.org
Tue Dec 8 18:54:43 EST 2009

On 2009, Dec, 08, , at 5:30 PM, Daniel Howard wrote:
> Hey, the Flip is one she likes, I think you guys answered it for
> me, but
> the product spec says it saves as MP4, that's the format I've had
> trouble with, while earlier versions appear to save as AVI files.
> Could
> they have they gone the way of the others recently?
>
> Best, Daniel

Thanks to the totally corrupt corporate control and proprietary
foundations of all the current media encoding schemes (outside of
the OGG and VORBIS Open Standards), there is not only a total
lack of legitimate standardization in media formats, the format
confusion is exponentially compounded by layers of proprietary
wrappers for delivering various proprietary codecs within various
proprietary environments. And that's before getting into all
the defective by design layers of Destructive Restriction
Mechanisms [DRM] that are being entrenched in the scams.

The line between "wrappers" like QT and AVI and "codecs" like
mpeg2 or h.264 is an increasingly blurry one. MP4, being the latest
dog pile of defective by design specs dumped on the public, is
the strongest case in point: it is being treated by the industry
as both a buzz word wrapper brand that uses a range of supported
codecs that can optionally incorporate Destructive Restriction
Mechanisms.  Thus a Mafia$oft winblows MP4 has been corrupted at
the MP4 wrapper level to only work with winblows environments and
a QT MP4 may not use quite the same codec and both of them can
employ a couple of different flavors of Destructive Restriction
Mechanism so that there is absolutely no way for the consumer
to know why the FSCK they can't play the video on the system
they paid for under the promise that it could "play MP4".

And yes, AVI is an antiquated MafiaSoft proprietary wrapper
that, unlike QuickTime, has not kept pace with the industry
trend toward defective by design encoding and DRM schemes,
so its use is being increasingly discouraged by the corrupt
powers that want to control all our access to information.