[ale] looking for a truly Linux friendly camcorder

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 16:48:08 EST 2009

I got a Sony "Webby". I can seee it as a thumb drive with the usb cable or I
can pull out the (stupid, proprietary) sony media stick and poke it into a
sd card slot and it "Just Works". Saves files as MPEG4 Claims to be HD
capable. cheap! easy! Bright freakin' orange so it's harder to loose!

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 11:03 AM, Daniel Howard <dhhoward at comcast.net> wrote:

> I've had a tough time getting HD videos to play on my wife's Ubuntu
> laptop that are Quicktime's version of H.264 (AVC), something
> proprietary in the container is preventing the usual medibuntu
> repository codecs from working.
>
> I'm looking for a new HD camcorder for her, does anyone know of one that
> does not use the Quicktime format, or is proven to be playable/editable
> in Linux?
>
> Thanks, Daniel

James P. Kinney III