[ale] VirtualBox seems to build in SuSE-10.2, but doesn't seem to install

Mills John M-NPHW64 Jmills at motorola.com
Tue Dec 8 16:03:06 EST 2009

ALErs -

I am building Sun's VirtualBox in SuSE-10.2 from sources: 'VirtualBox-3.1.0-OSE.tar.gz'

After a long and painful trek to build and install all the required supporting packages (except for disabling 'PulseAudio' when I ran out of patience), I get a successful configuration and builds of user and kernel components. The kernel modules do seem to end up where expected: '/lib/modules/2.6.18.1-0.13-default/misc/*.ko', but I don't get any installed front-end of app. I can't 'find' a copy of 'VirtualBox' anywhere except in the source directory.

Conversely I dropped the RPM into a newly-installed Fedora-11 with no problems and only one non-default supporting package to add.

Any idea what's going on here?

TIA.

 - Mills