[ale] I think BS is blocking ports now.

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Sat Dec 5 15:32:15 EST 2009

Jim Kinney wrote:
> Ditto on ISP change time. The big ones are leaning hard on squashing
> hobby uses of TCP/IP traffic. Unless you are a clueless consumer
> srfing web and getting your email from your ISP _only_ it appears they
> don't want you.
>
> So oblige them with the removal of your monthly funds and spend your
> cash with an ISP that _likes_ it's customers. I've heard fromt he
> group that Atlantix Nexxus is good. I've had excellent support and
> service from Speakeasy for years.
>
> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 4:57 AM, Paul Cartwright <ale at pcartwright.com
> <mailto:ale at pcartwright.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Fri December 4 2009, Jim Lynch wrote:
>     > I have some "special" services on my home system that are mapped to
>     > higher (4 digit) addresses.  All of a sudden, some of them aren't
>     > working any longer.
>
>     time for an ISP change?
>     Atlantic Nexus comes to mind...good, friendly, reliable, local
>     phone call tech
>     support, they even answer emails!

BS or now AT&T is still much cheaper than the alternatives.  I hesitate
to make the change without knowing that they really are blocking those
ports.  80 isn't blocked.  Neither is 22.  I don't run ftp so I don't
know if it's blocked.  At least a couple in the 8xxx range either are
blocked or something else if funny.  I temporarily change my port 80
access to the system I was trying to put up in the 8xxx range and it
worked, so there's no problem on the lan I don't think.  I have at least
one port in the 2xxx range that works fine and my Asterisk box seems to
work OK.  I had to open multiple ports for it and while I don't know for
sure which ports serve what function, it seems to work.  I can call out
and in via the voip service.  I know better than to call them.  They
have no idea how to fix anything without "Reboot the machine, put your
original disk in and reload the software, reboot the modem, etc."

It's only an inconvenience at this time.  I'll deal with it later if it
becomes a bigger issue or they start blocking other ports.

Thanks,
Jim.