[ale] rsync issues

scott scott at sboss.net
Sat Dec 5 11:44:35 EST 2009

you mentioned you are backing up to a CIFS share.  Can that be also exported as NFS?  if it will do both, mount up the share as NFS and do linux to linux from source to nfs mountpoint and you should be good.

Also you need to make sure you timeclocks on all devices are in sync.  Otherwise the timestamps are off and rsync thinks there has been changes.  Now you can tell it to ignore timestamps but the rsync is slower then since it has to do a checksum on every single file on both sides.  you have 5 small files not a big deal, but if you have hundreds or thousands (or more) and some of the files are large, then this can get to be a very long rsync time.

scott