[ale] I think BS is blocking ports now.

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 10:53:53 EST 2009

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Jeremy T. Bouse
<jeremy.bouse at undergrid.net>wrote:

> Jim Kinney wrote:
> > Ditto on ISP change time. The big ones are leaning hard on squashing
> > hobby uses of TCP/IP traffic. Unless you are a clueless consumer srfing
> > web and getting your email from your ISP _only_ it appears they don't
> > want you.
> >
> > So oblige them with the removal of your monthly funds and spend your
> > cash with an ISP that _likes_ it's customers. I've heard fromt he group
> > that Atlantix Nexxus is good. I've had excellent support and service
> > from Speakeasy for years.
> >
>         This is all well and good provided you're not being serviced by a
> remote DSLAM that BS/ATT doesn't have to provide resellers access to...
> I'd be rid of them in a heartbeat if I had any other option... And
> moving to Comcast isn't any more welcoming of an option but the only
> other one available.
>
> Sad but true. BS went as fast as they could when the legislation was coming
to put in fiber run DSLAM that were exempt from 3rd party access due to very
specific language in the law. Anyone downstream from that is screwed.
Likewise, anyone NOT downstream is very unlikely to a recipient of an
upgrade to fiber to the home or fiber to the curb. The 3rd parties are
blocked from doing the upgrade themselves (they _can_ do a new install _if_
they can get the conduit rights approved  by the local telco/cable/competing
agencies) and BS has absolutely no incentive to spend a penny that might
benefit a 3rd party ISP. Thus my strong advocacy for separating last mile
ownership (DSLAM to demarc with multiple feeds to the DSLAM) and service
providers. I also think ownership of both media production and
delivery/transport method is a bad thing (Comcast/NBC incest) for people who
are not stock holders.

James P. Kinney III