[ale] Xen / Virtualization and minimal Linux guest installations

scott scott at sboss.net
Fri Dec 4 13:10:14 EST 2009

this doesnt answer your question but it is my 2 cents on the (or related) subject.

I run VMWare Server on top of Ubuntu server for my virtualization strategy (or at least for now I do).  In my VM's I put a basic install of Ubuntu server + SSH Server package.  Then once the server is built and up and running, I add dselect (just a nice cli front end to apt-get) and then only add the packages I need for that server.  Now is there extra stuff I truly dont need?  yes.  but not by a lot.  It is a fairly light install.  Could you go in an remove those extra/unneeded packages?  sure.

just my 2 cents.