[ale] Xen / Virtualization and minimal Linux guest installations

Ty Connell ty.connell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 13:00:37 EST 2009

Greetings,

I'm wading into the Xen waters, and I'm interested in testing lightweight /
small footprint Linux guest distros.  Kind of what I'm looking for is:

1.  A distro that supports a gui or menu driven installation to the guest
"space" (forgive my terminology).
2.  Installs only what's necessary for booting and networking, and
3.  Supports some kind of package manager installation.

I don't really want to get into the loop of download source, compile, and
configure.  Something that works is OK.  For example, I'd like to setup a
guest OS that has nothing but linux, and the stuff to run postfix.  Another
guest would run nothing but DNS.  Similarly for Apache.

Test box is older hardware thus limiting what I can do with it.

I know there are a number of small footprint projects out there - looking
for some advice on culling that herd.

Regards,

-ty