[ale] OT: CFL recycle?

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Wed Dec 2 17:28:05 EST 2009

On 12/02/2009 04:15 PM, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Wed December 2 2009, William Fragakis wrote:
>> If you see the instructions for cleaning up a broken CFL you will switch
>> to LED as soon as your budget allows. I think they are great, we have
>> them all over the house, but the insides are nasty.
>
> Glenn Beck did a show a while back, and he had is assistant BREAK a CLF on TV
> in Manhattan, on a sidewalk. Then he went through the entire sequence of
> things that the EPA mandates be done when you break a CFL... It was hilarous!

Huh, looking at their list [0], breaking outdoors on a hard surface wold
entail

* Have people and pets leave the area, and don't let anyone walk through
the breakage area on their way out.
* Leave the area for 15 minutes or more.
* Carefully scoop up glass pieces and powder using stiff paper or
cardboard and place them in a glass jar with metal lid (such as a
canning jar) or in a sealed plastic bag.
* Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to pick up any remaining small
glass fragments and powder.
* Wipe the area clean with damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes.
* Place towels in the glass jar or plastic bag.
* Immediately place all clean-up materials outdoors in a trash container
or protected area for the next normal trash pickup.
* Wash your hands after disposing of the jars or plastic bags containing
clean-up materials.
* Check with your local or state government about disposal requirements
in your specific area.

I guess Glenn Beck can make anything hilarious.

[0] http://www.epa.gov/mercury/spills/index.htm#fluorescent

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts