[ale] Disappointed in the recent climate research hack

david w. millians millia at panix.com
Wed Dec 2 09:53:55 EST 2009

Jim Kinney wrote:
> Weather changes noticeable at the local level are in the normal
> fluctuation zones for short-scale observations. A warmer or colder
> winter in a particular region is neither proof nor refutation of global
> climate change. "My marble is red therefore all marbles are red" is a
> logical fallacy and similar to the arguments espoused by proponents and
> opponents alike when using a local data set to justify their particular
> viewpoint.

I understand and generally agree. Preaching to the choir.
Except, there was a study that said (fairly conclusively, IIRC, but IANA
climate scientist) the heat effects of Atlanta had altered weather
patterns in the area. This was more than just greenhouse gases; heat was
a major component. And we do not get rain like we used to in the summer,
for example; it seems as if we are in the lee of Atlanta's heat.
Again, this is not proof, so no need to point this out.

I'll see if I can dig up the paper again. It was written by some
scientists over there at that trade school that thought they could play
football, IIRC.

/still gloating, if you couldn't tell.