[ale] encrypted differential backups

Jim Popovitch jimpop at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 22:27:53 EDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 21:30, Jim Popovitch<jimpop at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 21:17, Brian Pitts<brian at polibyte.com> wrote:
>> On 08/30/2009 09:03 PM, Jim Popovitch wrote:
>>> I'm looking for an open source way to periodically (cron) archive
>>> differential file system changes to an encrypted format (tarball) that
>>> can be pushed out to a possibly-not-so-secure remote site (s3).
>>>
>>> ideas?
>>
>> http://www.nongnu.org/duplicity/
>
> Cool.  Thanks Brian.

Quick question about duplicity.   Does it have to d/l the previous
backups to determine the incremental changes?   For instance, if I run
"duplicity /var/log s3://host/bucket/", once it does the initial full
backup (which could be GBs) what does it do to determine what to build
the incremental list from next time it runs?

Thanks!

-Jim P.