[ale] Home fiber network?

Fri Aug 28 09:45:11 EDT 2009

My dad used to do fiber repairs back in the early 90's (maybe even
late 80's). I can remember him explaining to me with great amazement
how simple it is. I think that if you are really interested in doing
it yourself you could probably learn to. Maybe offer yourself as free
labor to someone who does it. "Hey, I'm thinking about getting into
this fiber stuff since I am already very skilled with copper
installs." I can't imagine anyone who would appreciate an extra pair
of hands for a day when it is free.

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 9:03 AM, Scott
Denlinger<scott at scottdenlinger.com> wrote:
> I have an old house which I'm remodeling, and I am considering running fiber
> instead of cat. 6, since I think fiber won't become as obsolete as quickly as
> cat. 6 will. Does this make any sense to consider? I've run cables before, and
> could do the termination of copper myself, but would I be out of my league
> trying to run fiber? I would have to bring someone in to terminate everything
> and test it, but I'm reasonably confident I could design the network, and run
> the fiber myself, so I'm sure I could save on a lot of the labor costs, even if
> I need someone to terminate all the connections.
>
> Are there good Internet resources out there for RESIDENTIAL fiber networks? A
> lot of what I've seen in my searching so far seems to involve commercial
> installations.
>
> Another factor is location--I'm in Statesboro, and there's at least one guy here in town
> who claims to be able to do fiber installations, but I haven't gotten into
> specifics with him. I'm sure there are folks in Savannah who could come out and
> do it pretty easily, especially if they didn't have to spend time running the
> fiber themselves. I imagine if they're only terminating and hooking up onsite
> equipment, it's a 1-day job at most.
>
> Thanks for any tips, insights or caveats.
>
> Scott Denlinger

.!# RichardBronosky #!.