[ale] Clear Wimax

Brian MacLeod nym.bnm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 23:33:28 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 9:58 PM, Brian Pitts <brian at polibyte.com> wrote:

> On 08/25/2009 09:32 PM, Mark Wright wrote:
> > Are there good pci cards with Linux drivers for Wimax?
>
> As far as I can see the only supported hardware wimax hardware in linux
> is Intel's i2400m chip. If I had to guess, I'd say these are probably
> only available integrated in Intel-based laptops.

That is their primary focus, yes, with the combo card that does G/N/WiMax.
That said, the Intel WiMax/WiFi Link 5150 comes as a PCIe mini card (or mini
half card), and such a card could go into a device such as this:

http://www.ceedtec.com/usb-mini-pci-express-card-cradle.html

Which would then have linux compatible interfaces from which to use it.
There are other adapters, but, you don't HAVE to be a Centrino2 platform to
use it, it just works better (for power consumption) that way.

Brian