[ale] Clear Wimax

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Tue Aug 25 21:06:41 EDT 2009

On 08/25/2009 08:49 PM, Mark Wright wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just signed up for Clearwire wimax.  I thought the mobile usb modem
> would work with Linux but so far no joy.  The home box doesn't care what
> is hooked to it but the mobile USB is a different story.  Anyone have
> any suggestions on where to start.  Crossover puked on trying to install
> the windows divers and control app.  I'm running about 0 for 0 trying to
> get unsupported apps working on Crossover.  This should be able to work
> without playing windows games with it.  I have read that Wimax modem
> drivers have been in the Kernel for while now.
>
> Any help would be..hm... helpful.

I think there was an ALE discussion this week or last week about how the
mobile USB modems weren't linux friendly. THe only thing that occurs to
me to try is running a windows virtual machine in your hypervisor of
choice, configuring the hypervisor to give the windows VM direct access
to the USB modem, and doing some iptables magic to redirect your network
connection through the VM.

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts