[ale] Retentive DVD ripping copying?

david w. millians millia at panix.com
Tue Aug 25 15:24:08 EDT 2009

So I'm wanting to put all my DVDs onto the media server. All well and
good on the server end; I've been ripping CDs and records, and I've got
my retentive methodology down for them, for tagging and whatnot. They
play great with my squeezebox and on the various pc's.

I think I'm going to go with a front end of a hacked xbox; the backend
could either be a mythbox or just a file share.

But the question is: how best to retentively copy those dvds? I want all
the features; I don't want to save space; I want all the languages and
audio options and what not. Can one just copy the files over, and the
players will handle the decss'ing on their own, like VLC does? Or do I
*have* to do the handbrake ripping type thing anyway to make them usable?

Thanks,
David