[ale] [OT] Wireless Router Troubles

John Temple cjtemple at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 13:48:46 EDT 2009

I have a Linksys WRT54G v4 with Firmware 4.21.1 For some reason I can't
establish a wireless connection. I have switched it back-n-forth from Open
to WEP. It was open for the longest time and worked without a problem
(several years). I came home from a weeklong trip and it was dead. I tried
switching to WEP and it worked for a day but it is out again. I just updated
the firmware from 4.20.6 to see if that would resolve my problem. After the
firmware update I was able to make a connection with it set to open. I
turned WEP back on and the wireless connection on my EEE PC just sits at
Pending... For now I have it set back to Open but I am not sure how long it
will last.

My concern is that the heat from the attic where the router, switches, modem
and UPS are located has finally gotten the best of the wireless side of the
router. Wired works fine.

Anyone have any suggestion on fixing the little bugger or on a new router?
On a new router I would like a decent range, I am nice and my brother-in-law
across the street likes to borrow the internet.

Please help my Tivo boxes are wirelessly connected to my network and need to
get the programming guide updates. :)

As for security, right now it isn't that big of a concern, I live so far out
in the sticks most of my neighbors are just discovering indoor plumbing. I
did find one person show up awhile back but I just locked out their MAC
address.