[ale] Java Jitters: FC11, Firefox-3.5, jre6u_??

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Sat Aug 22 11:04:24 EDT 2009

ALErs -

I'm having trouble setting up the Java 'jre' and Firefox plugin after a
pair of upgrades.

Context:
1. I accepted an update on an FC10 Dell D630 laptop and found I had
upgraded from FC10 to FC11 instead of simply installing updates of FC10
core and utilities. Some [re]assembly was reauired.

2. I accepted a Firefox upgrade and now have v-3.5. Probably a
_GoodThing(TM)_. Unfortunately I some important applets started from web
pages no longer work.

I went to Sun's download page and downloaded the RPM for 'latest' which
turns out to be 6u_15, not _14 as suggested by the download page. Now I
can't pass Sun's Java currency test from Firefox nor run the needed
web-site applets. In fact it crashes Firefox when I try.

I do have Java and pop-ups enabled. I tried to link the Java plug-in
properly but I'm not sure I got that right.

TIA for others' experience and suggestions.

  - Mills