[ale] OT:Digitizing my old vinyl

david w. millians millia at panix.com
Sat Aug 22 00:53:44 EDT 2009

Neal Rhodes wrote:
> My net conclusion is that so long as I have work, if the recording is
> available as a CD it's worth the money to just buy the new copy.    IF
> it's an out of print recording, then maybe it's worth it.   Or when I
> retire.

I'd agree, but by my reckoning, over half of my lps and eps are
unreleased on CD. I've ripped about 200 of the lps, I guess. That leaves
about 3800 to go. It's truly astounding how much is left to be reissued.
  12" remixes are just about unavailable, even for popular bands.
That also includes cases where the remastering changed the original
release- i.e., most of David Thomas' solo work, the B-52s, etc.

Of course, there was one obscure single (expiration date, by observers
observing observables) I had been looking for for years. One time,
googling for it, I discovered the remnants of the band had just put up
flacs.  A lot cheaper than the $75 the original fetches...

/new music server is being a real pain... deb does not play nice with
sata onboard and separate sata adapter.