[ale] OT:Digitizing my old vinyl

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 15:50:51 EDT 2009

On 08/21/2009 11:18 AM, david w. millians wrote:
> Scott Castaline wrote:
>> Am I better off using this type of configuration or does USB work just
>> as well?
>
> As they said, turntables don't use lineout standard- inexplicably- so
> you'll need an amp to raise it to that level. And USB doing the
> conversion is better, since it removes the noise. I go from an
> audio-technica to a usb converter - edirol of some description - into
> the mac.
>
> I disagree strongly with the assertion that a properly-mastered mp3 is
> the same as lossless, for the record. I can hear it quite plainly if I'm
> listening at home or on headphones. In the car, it's touch and go.
>
> I don't claim to have golden ears, but for music I know by heart, I can
> tell immediately. And have, when my friends challenged me. Again, I
> don't have the best equipment - somebody, make me a deal on an SL1200 -
> but it's just what you become accustomed to. And with 8k records, I've
> listened to a lot of music over the years.
>
> (First time I heard a minidisc, I almost literally yelped with disgust
> at the atrociousness of what they were trying to foist. The compression
> got better, but that first listen soured me on lossy compression for
> quite a while.)
>
>> Anyone have any experience with this site?
>
> Whole reason I posted, before I got all cranky.
>
> I LOVE dak. The catalogs were a hoot to read. The quality of the old
> stuff was fine; haven't ordered from the new incarnation.
>
> Thanks,
> David

emailed Drew @ DAK and he has no future plans for Linux support. I did
find a couple of Analog to USB preamps that is Linux supported:

Behringer U-Phono UFO202
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UFO202.aspx
This one did not specifically say Linux support, but in conversing with
their support by e-mail they said it does work very well with Audacity
on Linux. They do not offer any plug-ins as far as I could tell.

Pro-Ject USB Box
http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=usbbox&cat=boxes&lang=en
This one specifically says support for Linux although mention of Linux
is excluded in the actual manual. I did get confirmation that they do
supply software for OSX, Micro$haft, and Linux. It also costs $199.00
vs. $29.99 for the first one at Musician's Friend.com I gues a lot of
software comes with the 2nd and not the 1st.