[ale] Mysteries of turntables was Re: OT:Digitizing my old vinyl

david w. millians millia at panix.com
Fri Aug 21 14:32:42 EDT 2009

Ken Cochran wrote:
> They can't do line-out because the phono cartridges don't have
> sufficient output.  Also the sigal has to be "corrected" to
> "undo" the RIAA equalization that applies to all vinyl LPs.
> This is/was all part of the LP/phonograph spec.  The quality
> of the phono preamp impacted sonic quality every bit as much as
> (if not more than) other pieces in the "chain."  All I've ever
> seen were contained in the (separate) system preamp/control.
> (Example: Crown IC-150)  I'm sure the likes of Wikipedia would
> have more detailed information...

Fascinating. I still don't know *why* that standard evolved; I suppose
the earlier amps were more finicky, so it was better not to have it in
the actual turntable. Or perhaps line-level wasn't as consistent as it
is today. Reading about the different cartridges that were available,
though, it seems like the preamp would have been much more important
prior to the 70s.  Or maybe it was just cheaper not to add the preamp
circuits.

Certainly, I'm sure the audiophiles preferred separate ones, much as
they do today. I like a good stereo, but there's a pricepoint beyond
which I can't imagine *ever* going, even if I had the money. And that's
far below 'danceable' cables, to be sure.