[ale] OT:Digitizing my old vinyl

Ken Cochran kwc at TheWorld.com
Fri Aug 21 12:23:17 EDT 2009

> Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 11:18:06 -0400
> From: "david w. millians" <millia at panix.com>
> To: "Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts - Yes! We run Linux!" <ale at ale.org>
> Subject: Re: [ale] OT:Digitizing my old vinyl
>
> Scott Castaline wrote:
> > Am I better off using this type of configuration or does USB work just
> > as well?
>
> As they said, turntables don't use lineout standard- inexplicably- so

They can't do line-out because the phono cartridges don't have
sufficient output.  Also the sigal has to be "corrected" to
"undo" the RIAA equalization that applies to all vinyl LPs.
This is/was all part of the LP/phonograph spec.  The quality
of the phono preamp impacted sonic quality every bit as much as
(if not more than) other pieces in the "chain."  All I've ever
seen were contained in the (separate) system preamp/control.
(Example: Crown IC-150)  I'm sure the likes of Wikipedia would
have more detailed information...

[snippage]

> Thanks,
> David