[ale] OT:Digitizing my old vinyl

david w. millians millia at panix.com
Fri Aug 21 11:18:06 EDT 2009

Scott Castaline wrote:
> Am I better off using this type of configuration or does USB work just
> as well?

As they said, turntables don't use lineout standard- inexplicably- so
you'll need an amp to raise it to that level. And USB doing the
conversion is better, since it removes the noise. I go from an
audio-technica to a usb converter - edirol of some description - into
the mac.

I disagree strongly with the assertion that a properly-mastered mp3 is
the same as lossless, for the record. I can hear it quite plainly if I'm
listening at home or on headphones. In the car, it's touch and go.

I don't claim to have golden ears, but for music I know by heart, I can
tell immediately. And have, when my friends challenged me. Again, I
don't have the best equipment - somebody, make me a deal on an SL1200 -
but it's just what you become accustomed to. And with 8k records, I've
listened to a lot of music over the years.

(First time I heard a minidisc, I almost literally yelped with disgust
at the atrociousness of what they were trying to foist. The compression
got better, but that first listen soured me on lossy compression for
quite a while.)

> Anyone have any experience with this site?

Whole reason I posted, before I got all cranky.

I LOVE dak. The catalogs were a hoot to read. The quality of the old
stuff was fine; haven't ordered from the new incarnation.

Thanks,
David