[ale] Disk testing app wanted

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 11:52:18 EDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Jim Kinney<jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
> fill the drive with DVD images from Centos and do a checksum test.
>
> I saw a test once that involved a dd if=/dev/zero followed by a read
> that ran a consecutive sum. if the return value was not 0...
>
> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 11:28 AM, Mills John
> M-NPHW64<Jmills at motorola.com> wrote:
>> ALErs -
>>
>> Is there a simple read/write test or script I can turn loose on a suspect
>> SATA drive and let it run? There's no data on the disk I care to preserve.
>>
>> TIA.
>>  - Mills

> James P. Kinney III
> Actively in pursuit of Life, Liberty and Happiness

To make drive benchmark test and analyze read and write performance

 dd if=/dev/zero bs=1024 count=1000000 of=/home/sam/1Gb.file
 dd if=/home/sam/1Gb.file bs=64k | dd of=/dev/null

Old utilities do not die they just slowly fade away!
OpenSUSE -- http://en.opensuse.org/User:Terrorpup
OpenSuSE Ambassador
OpenSuSE Member
Skype -- terrorpup