[ale] USB Boot/Install Question

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 21:50:44 EDT 2009

Get the F10 or F11 netinstaller CD if you have fat pipe for download
(in does what the netinstaller for Debian does.) Otherwise use the
boot CD image from the DVD and use a NFS or http mount DVD to followup
with over your LAN.

I'm sure Suse has a minimal boot CD as well that you then point the
install run to a full install DVD elsewhere.

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 10:04 AM, John Mills<johnmills at speakeasy.net> wrote:
> ALErs -
>
> I would like to install a recent Linux on an elderly server (Tyan S2720
> motherboard) without internal DVD or provision for boot from DVD on USB.
> My SuSE and Fedora installations are on DVDs. The options that occur to me
> are:
>
>  1. CD installation, but I need to make the 'spin' CDs,
>  2. Start a CD installation and specify the USB/DVD as my installation
> medium,
>  3. Some boot manager I could load from CD of floppy to then boot from the
> USB/DVD, or
>  4. Put my distribution DVD on a handy nearby box and export it for a net
> installation.
>
> Approaches (2) and (3) look most attractive to me, but I don't know how to
> do either. Method (3) might be the best for flexibility.
>
> Can someone advise me?
>
> TIA.
>
>  - Mills

James P. Kinney III