[ale] AT&T DSL Support - it is a Turing Test?

Jeremy T. Bouse jeremy.bouse at undergrid.net
Sun Aug 16 17:14:41 EDT 2009

I just kept calling AT&T DSL Support and asking to be escalated every
time my connection dropped... They eventually escalated me to their
"Presidential Level" (I assume their ERT dept) and they rolled a truck
out to my location at no cost. The tech that came out was first
impressed with my in-house wiring as he stated he'd never seen anything
like it before and then he proceeded to give me a new DSL modem (no
charge and old modem was < 2 years old) as well as replace the Optical
Network Card (ONC) in the beige box across the street in my neighbor's
front yard. Haven't had any problems since!

Now, a few things of note...

1) my wife won't stay in a room if I'm calling customer support as she
says I make them cry... I've actually told a Verisign support tech to
"Stop trying to blow smoke up my ass" when he was giving me a clearly
insane answer to a problem...

2) My subdivision is delivered over fiber up to the beige box across the
street (< 25 yards) from my NTI on the outside of my house

3) From the NTI there is < 3 feet of CAT5 running from the customer side
of the NTI to the DSL filter card in my Leviton Structured Media Center
where my DSL modem is plugged into. It's then CAT5 from the DSL modem to
my Linksys WRTSL54GS running DD-WRT.