[ale] USB Boot/Install Question

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Sun Aug 16 10:04:37 EDT 2009

ALErs -

I would like to install a recent Linux on an elderly server (Tyan S2720
motherboard) without internal DVD or provision for boot from DVD on USB.
My SuSE and Fedora installations are on DVDs. The options that occur to me
are:

  1. CD installation, but I need to make the 'spin' CDs,
  2. Start a CD installation and specify the USB/DVD as my installation
medium,
  3. Some boot manager I could load from CD of floppy to then boot from the
USB/DVD, or
  4. Put my distribution DVD on a handy nearby box and export it for a net
installation.

Approaches (2) and (3) look most attractive to me, but I don't know how to
do either. Method (3) might be the best for flexibility.

Can someone advise me?

TIA.

  - Mills