[ale] AT&T DSL Support - it is a Turing Test?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 23:15:16 EDT 2009

Speakeasy totally freakin' rocks!!! The tech support speaks ENGLISH
and has the authorization to instantly do a line test from Seattle to
your frakin' DSL modem. I pay more than the typical cheapskate ALEer
and I would not dream of anything less than the customer service and
reliability I have had for the past 5 years with Speakeasy. I was
terrified when BestBuy acquired them but 2 years later it seems they
have left the structure alone.

The sweetness of the price is forgotten long before the bitterness of
poor quality fades from memory.

I also refuse to buy a budweiser for $2.50 when for $4 I can have a
Sam Adams or for $7 a Sam Smith.

Note: If there is a line problem with Speakeasy DSL, _they_ have an
SLA with AT&T that says FIX THE CUSTOMER LINE FSKING NOW! But a lowly
AT&T customer is not worth their time. There is NO SLA with their
individual line customers. If they violate their bulk customer SLA,
they get hammered on by the Feds for violations out the wazoo.

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Neal Rhodes<neal at mnopltd.com> wrote:
> Any thoughts on how a human being with 20 years of network setup experience
> actually talks to an intelligent support person at AT&T regarding DSL?
>
> Using the phone doesn't work - you end up with something that almost, but
> doesn't quite, speak Engrish and once you spend a half hour explaining to
> them how their own product works they miraculously manage to hang up on you
> before escalating the call.
>
> Using the Chat doesn't work - pretty much the same as above, although
> slower.
> You guys need to diagnose why the upgrade to 6mbit didn't work.
>                "Please check the wireless configuration".
>
> I don't NEED to check the wireless, the dang web display on the DSL device
> says 2700Kbits download negotatiated".
>
>                 "Please standby while I figure out how to disconnect you."
>
> "We are experiencing higher than usual service times".
>
> Yeah, because nobody there knows a FF about DSL or networking!
>

> Let me guess: using Email is pretty much the same, but even slower?
>

> Neal Rhodes
> MNOP Ltd

James P. Kinney III