[ale] [Fwd: Microsoft can't sell `Word' in US]

Matt Gilbert matt at mattgilbert.net
Thu Aug 13 23:16:46 EDT 2009

Can anyone else weigh in on how this impacts software that "manipulates the
structure and content" of XML files and/or CSS, etc? Because the way I'm
reading it it makes about half of the software I use (and half of the
software I write for my own use) illegal. Not that I feel like I would be a
target for legal junk, but many programs and projects I rely on might be.

There have to be plenty of legitimate reasons to sue MS that would be
applauded, this is just absurd (and probably unenforceable anyway). If this
is good, then it's good because the only targets would be big bad companies,
but that puts everything else in a weird sort of black market, doesn't it?
The picture can't be that big, can it?

Matt