[ale] [Fwd: Microsoft can't sell `Word' in US]

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Thu Aug 13 07:37:09 EDT 2009

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009, JK wrote:

> Justin Caratzas wrote:
>
>> MS is just going to cut a check, which is a miniscule % of what they
>> bring in each year.  Just the cost of doing business.
>

> Actually, MS has said they're going to appeal.  It's in the article
> posted at the top of this thread.

While we all rejoiced that Microsoft got a slap,
and while I am not a lawyer and have only read very
general media stories about this.... it seems the basis
is a "document editor that saves or enables custom XML" or
something like that.

Custom XML might be definable as: User Definable Schema
or some are saying "XML outside of OOXML"

I don't understand the finer parts of the actual points raised,
but in general, what makes XML useful, is that it is extensible
and abusable in so many ways. I hate it because it is so extensible, and
complex.. and.. Java Programmers use it for everything.

But it is a core part of many many technologies, Word is just one.

We should be upset because the patent vultures are winning
by abusing a specific Texas court system whose business seems to be
trying patent cases.