[ale] ick - big brother alert

William Fragakis william at fragakis.com
Wed Aug 12 00:44:38 EDT 2009

That's the problem they are trying to deal with. I said several years
ago that the cable companies operating as ISPs would have a big problem
in that the service (TV content) they could meter so well would become a
commodity on the very same pipe they delivered into the home at a fixed
rate (cable internet).

Now, they are trying to figure out a way to remeter the internet content
or risk having their profit structure flatten (and decline). When they
could meter, they could charge a premium price for the most desirable
content (e.g. HBO) much the same way KFC charges more for chicken
breasts than thighs.

On the internet, all content is the same price - $42.95. It's like
having mixed buckets and all white meat buckets of fried chicken costing
the same.

wf