[ale] email/IMAP local user

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Mon Aug 10 18:05:15 EDT 2009

ok, I'm an idiot.. Every time I try to mess with email, I end up breaking it.
right now, what I have is my domain email, which is hosted by AMScomputers. I
use fetchmail to bring it all in to /var/mail/local_user_name and pull it in
using kmail, via a local user.

my wife has a laptop and I'd like to be able to let her get her email on the
laptop, so she will leave my desktop debian box ALONE:)
what do I need to do to setup IMAP, so she can get her email on the Debian
Desktop via kmail and then fire up the laptop to do something, and have
access to that email store..

right now I believe I am using exim4:
ii  exim4                                                   4.69-9
metapackage to ease Exim MTA (v4) installation
ii  exim4-base                                              4.69-9
support files for all Exim MTA (v4) packages
ii  exim4-config                                            4.69-9
configuration for the Exim MTA (v4)
rc  exim4-daemon-heavy                                      4.69-9
Exim MTA (v4) daemon with extended features, including exiscan-a
ii  exim4-daemon-light                                      4.69-9
lightweight Exim MTA (v4) daemon
ii  sa-exim                                                 4.2.1-11
Use spamAssassin at SMTP time with the Exim v4 MTA

and I also have courier installed ( might be because i tried to do something
with IMAP before...)
 dpkg --list |grep courier
ii  courier-authdaemon                                      0.61.0-1+lenny1
Courier authentication daemon
ii  courier-authlib                                         0.61.0-1+lenny1
Courier authentication library
ii  courier-authlib-mysql                                   0.61.0-1+lenny1
MySQL support for the Courier authentication library
ii  courier-authlib-userdb                                  0.61.0-1+lenny1
userdb support for the Courier authentication library
ii  courier-base                                            0.60.0-2
Courier mail server - base system
ii  courier-imap                                            4.4.0-2
Courier mail server - IMAP server
ii  courier-imap-ssl                                        4.4.0-2
Courier mail server - IMAP over SSL
ii  courier-pop                                             0.60.0-2
Courier mail server - POP3 server
ii  courier-pop-ssl                                         0.60.0-2
Courier mail server - POP3 over SSL
ii  courier-ssl                                             0.60.0-2
Courier mail server - SSL/TLS Support

suggestions/hints/HOW-To's ??

--
Paul Cartwright