[ale] OT: humor - XKCD

aaron aaron at pd.org
Sat Aug 8 02:21:00 EDT 2009

On 2009, Aug, 07, , at 11:38 PM, adam wrote:
> john anderson wrote:
>> Or, how about this recent one:
>> http://xkcd.com/619/
>
> I have issue with this particular strip.
>
> Didn't Randall Munroe get it wrong? Why is this lack of working flash
> video Linux's fault? Is this not the vendor's fault?
>
> One could even claim he's referring to bad drivers, but is this
> Linux's
> fault? Isn't it the fault of poorly written drivers, failure to
> properly
> support the platform, and lack of vendor interest?
>
> In terms of what Linux does well, and where it gets used most, I
> can see
> the need to support a bajillion CPUs before supporting good flash.
> When
> I need a thousand-node cluster to churn over protein strands, you
> better
> believe I want an OS that can use all of my resources.
>
> </rant>

I agree with the rant and was a little put off by the
very points you make, which is why I didn't forward
#619 myself when my partner sent it to me. Comes back
to the sore point that all these compressed media
formats are proprietary crap, and every difficulty in
supporting them is the failure of the commercial
computer software industry and no fault of GNU Linux
or Free Software or the Open Source community.

> In general, xkcd makes me lol on a regular basis.
>
> http://xkcd.com/457/

Thanks... now my vision is blurred with laughter tears
again. Hope I dindt fan fitger anything in this post...
'-)

peace
aaron