[ale] beware warranties on refurbished/reconditioned computers

Brian MacLeod nym.bnm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 11:21:16 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 10:10 AM, Richard Bronosky <Richard at bronosky.com>wrote:

> Have you noticed a pattern that might suggest if the BIOS gets
> effected at the point of [a] needing a hard power down, [b] doing a
> hard power down, or [c] rebooting after a hard power down. If it is
> "case a" then you can't avoid it. If it is b or c, you can by
> remembering to remove USB devices.

The pattern appears to be I get the machine hung up while running while I
happen to have a USB drive inserted (Windows or Linux, unfortunately), I
force power it down, and then forget to remove the USB before booting up.
If I do normal power downs/reboots, doesn't seem to happen, regardless of
USB state.  In other words, my laziness is causing my familiarity.

Now, that seems to indicate maybe something else in the machine is at fault,
but everytime this happens (that i can remember), I am often doing something
a bit funky like repartitioning the USB drive/hard drive so I can enable
additional boot options.  I know how I am, so I'll blame the user first here
before blaming the tool.

---
Ad killing Signature:
I enjoy the massacre of ads. This sentence will slaughter ads without a
messy bloodbath.