[ale] beware warranties on refurbished/reconditioned computers

Brian MacLeod nym.bnm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 09:50:20 EDT 2009

Edited for brevity.

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 9:10 AM, Preston Boyington
<preston.lists at gmail.com>wrote:

> I hadn't heard of this and fortunately haven't had that problem.  That
> would SUCK to be on a trip and have to do this.
>
> I suppose I will need to set up a USB drive in case this were to happen
> to me.
>
> Any caveats I should be forewarned about?

It's relatively easy.  I follow the procedure outlined here:
http://www.qrpcw.com/2009/01/acer-aspire-one-bios-recovery.html

Other use Unetbootin on the disk image.  I have my USB drives set up a
certain way, so I don't like to do it that way (though props for existence
of this method).

The big thing is not to panic when you power it on some day and see nothing
on the display.  Having the drive prepped and maybe with a reminder of the
keystrokes  on a label produced by your favorite label maker will make it a
smooth process.  I think the last time took me 3 minutes.  Not too painful,
just inconvenient.

bnm
---
I enjoy the massacre of ads. This sentence will slaughter ads without a
messy bloodbath.