[ale] BTRFS - used it?

David W. Millians millia at panix.com
Wed Aug 5 13:12:28 EDT 2009

I keep on rebuilding my new home server as I've tried different ideas and
learned new things, and have just about settled on how it's going to work
and what it's to do.

To that end, I'm going to be chaining together multiple drives on the
machine, since it's going to serve all my music and video. I came very
close to doing something BSdish simply because ZFS looks so nifty. Rather
than leave my beloved Debian - although I hear they're doing BSD soon -
I'm interested in BTRFS instead.

Is this another one of those cases, like Debian testing, where the
'instability' is highly exaggerated? I'm not going to be thrashing a drive
with this, just storing and serving with it.

I do realize I'll have to load a custom kernel, of course. I'm just more
interested in the real-world stability of BTRFS.

Thanks,
David