[ale] I/O Disk errors

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 12:25:59 EDT 2009

I just set up a fresh Debian server and believe that either my
controller or the hard drive might be bad.

I have two USB external drives connected and was
consolidating/organizing my files when I first got hit with the I/O disk
error while it was copying the files over.  When this happens NOTHING
works (SSH, FTP, SAMBA, NFS).  I can't even use ctrl-alt-del to restart
the thing.

I vaguely remember seeing some kind of 'sync error'(?), but will run
smarttools when I get back to the apartment and check the error logs.

I installed Debian 5.02 (latest Stable) via a netinstall and the drive
is formatted XFS.

Anyone have an idea of what else it might be or suggestions on how to
nail down the problem?

Thanks.

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/

Where the road takes me - a highwayman's perspective
http://www.prestonboyington.com/