[ale] lightly researched hint

RICHARD FOSTER foster7152 at bellsouth.net
Mon Aug 3 19:36:25 EDT 2009

Clearchanteuse,

I was helped with a problem in some obscure spot, namely mounting a second drive on my big Intel board which yet seems to run everything out of one chip, except secondary disk controller which is si1 w/1|l. I put in a mail subject box (to be searchable, though SuSE forums seem to do random entries on searches there, and I don't at all know how to search ALE,) subject: mount -t what-all /dev/mapper/various_arcane_crap_part1 /mnt.

So it broke when I used an identical in every way drive as second. SuSE though it was part of a raid array; I blacklisted all the seeming raid modules, which I'll have to undo. Somebody said to mount such a drive in YaST, which I couldn't do, but I was able to delete the raidarray file in /dev/mapper, plq_rdf.  Plugging in an unlike-sized drive still's remedied by first solution.  When there is no raid item in mapper/ the disk mounts without the "device or resource busy" complaint.

This may be particular to my old board; it was 20x longer to fix than familiar workaround, so I send it that maybe it'll be sent on, or not, this being a pro site.

Greetings
foster