[ale] Picking a home paper / photo printer

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Sat Aug 1 21:10:11 EDT 2009

>From the mists of time -- the web site now forwards to:
  [http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting]

They do seem to have a reference page.

I would also check the 'GIMP' and 'CUPS' sites for more data. Caution: I
find the "greatest driver, better than the manufacturer's ..." claims did
not prove out for me.

Thus, I admit I revert to WinXP and Photoshop Elements when I need to get
the best out of my Epson 1280. It's nasty about clogging nozzles if it
sits idle, too. On the other hand it cost me $10 at a yard sale.

I do refill my cartridges (YMMV!!!^&*%!!), and I hear the nozzle problems
are much less if you use a 'Continuous Ink Supply' (eBay for this with my
old printer model).

The best home-printed photos I have seen were 13x19in. from an Epson 1280.
Software was Photoshop (full) under MacOS-X. Originals were shot (4.5x6cm)
on 120 Ektachrome, processed E-6 by a lab, and scanned into Photoshop on a
good film scanner. That's a bit out of my league, but so was the quality
of my friend's images.

I also know a woman whose prints from digital images do well in local
photo shows; she has them all done at Costco with no special treatment
AFAIK (including the one we purchased).

Meanwhile, that site near REI sounds interesting. Thanks.

  - Mills