[ale] Ubuntu 9.04 & Flash at pandora.com, facebook - FIXED

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Mon Apr 27 14:57:01 EDT 2009

reggie at busicast.com wrote:

> Full confession: In my first install, I came across all the edubuntu
> stuff and thought, well heck, my wife's a teacher, I'll just load up
> all the educational software so she'll think I'm a good guy. I didn't
> realize doing so would replace the basic Ubuntu version with Edubuntu.
> It did, I hated it, tried to roll it back, think I must have fubared
> something, although nothing squawked.

If it's educational software you want, install some of the following
ubuntu-edu-preschool ubuntu-edu-primary ubuntu-edu-secondary
ubuntu-edu-tertiary. Installing these, plus edubuntu-artwork (which is
ugly imho), is basically all the edubuntu-desktop metapackage does.

> So, all's good - but I do have a Ubuntu newbie question: I want to set
> this home-box up to run without passwords. Have created separate
> accounts for wife & teen just so we can keep our preferences (okay,
> protect _my_ preferences) straight.
>
> When booting, the system comes up with me as default user, logs on
> automatically in 30 seconds. How can I change default user to be my
> teen?

Launch System -> Administration -> Login-Window (i.e. gdmsetup). You can
change which user is automatically logged in under the Security tab.

All the best,
Brian Pitts