[ale] Ubuntu 9.04 & Flash at pandora.com, facebook - FIXED

reggie at busicast.com reggie at busicast.com
Mon Apr 27 14:21:32 EDT 2009

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 12:23:00 -0500
  Ryan Marshall <rymarshall at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Short:  Help requested re: new Ubuntu 9.04 install, trying to
>play
>> >>

> My first reponse to the list, please forgive me if I screw up the
>format.
>
> Anyway, I had broken flash on my x64 'Buntu 9.04 yesterday.  I found
>that I
> had to remove swfdec, flashplugin-installer as well as
>adobe-flashplugin,
> then I reinstalled adobe-flashplugin and my problems were
>alleviated.
>
> (note:  pulling from memory here and exact package names are
>approximated)

Okay, problem solved...

I re-installed 9.04 from scratch. Then went into Synaptic & searched
for "Flash." Finally found flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound and
installed that (it dragged flashplugin-installer & flashplugin-nonfree
along with it.) And everything worked. (...and may I say how nice it
is to be able to re-install in just a few minutes, rather than
committing the untold hours some other OS's-who-won't-be-named seem to
require?)

Full confession: In my first install, I came across all the edubuntu
stuff and thought, well heck, my wife's a teacher, I'll just load up
all the educational software so she'll think I'm a good guy. I didn't
realize doing so would replace the basic Ubuntu version with Edubuntu.
It did, I hated it, tried to roll it back, think I must have fubared
something, although nothing squawked.

So, all's good - but I do have a Ubuntu newbie question: I want to set
this home-box up to run without passwords. Have created separate
accounts for wife & teen just so we can keep our preferences (okay,
protect _my_ preferences) straight.

When booting, the system comes up with me as default user, logs on
automatically in 30 seconds. How can I change default user to be my
teen?

Thanks for all help and apologies for screwing it up in the first
place.