[ale] [OT] flash sites suck - (was Ubuntu 9.04 & Flash at pandora.com, facebook)

Robert Reese~ ale at sixit.com
Mon Apr 27 13:00:24 EDT 2009

> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 10:09, Robert Reese~ <ale at sixit.com> wrote:
>
>> (Too bad the dipsticks at Pandora aren't bright enough to figure
>> out how to deliver their content without Flash.  Heck, you can't
>> even sign up without Flash... f'ing morons...)
>>

> Bad morning, eh?  :-)

Meh, not too bad.  :c)  I just have a very low tolerance for idiots that think
Flash is a website powering technology; I consider such people to be lazy,
ignorant, or stupid, or any combination thereof.  There is a purpose and a
reason for internet standards to exist; thankfully even Microsoft has finally
gotten the picture w/r/t I.E. in upcoming version 8; their implementation of
standards still has a ways to go, but they have made enormous progress (for MS)
in getting away from the hell that was created by and for IE 5 and especially IE
6.  The good news is that companies that went the cheap/lazy way requiring IE,
and especially ActiveX, are finding that with future versions of IE starting
with 8 that their websites and technology are going to require extensive changes
to work properly, and those changes will essentially force the website to work
much more properly on Firefox and other standards-compliant browsers such as
Opera and Safari.  (It also doesn't hurt that portable net-capable devices are
poised on the horizon to drastically change the way people access the internet
and various destinations thereof.)

As far as Pandora goes specifically, there's nothing on pandora.com that should
require flash for account purposes.  And for those purposes that use Flash, such
as the delivery of their streams, they should provide non-Flash alternatives.
Humorously, their implementation of Flash is buggy as far as their sample player
is concerned.

At least the potential for competition is there if Pandora proves to be more
popular. ;c)  Interestingly, it isn't very far at all from a business plan I'm
developing...

Oh, well.. back to the grind.  How're things with you?

R~