[ale] Ubuntu 9.04 & Flash at pandora.com, facebook

reggie at busicast.com reggie at busicast.com
Mon Apr 27 10:50:25 EDT 2009

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 10:23:54 -0400
  rmellema <rmellema at exithere.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 09:08:37 -0400, <reggie at busicast.com> wrote:
>> Short:  Help requested re: new Ubuntu 9.04 install, trying to play
>> pandora.com audio, facebook.com videos (both, I believe, flash);
>> neither will play.
>>

> I am having the same exact problem.
>
> --
> Ron Mellema

This sounds more like an authentication/cookie/proxy/referrer problem
than a
Flash problem.

Try installing the Firebug add-on in Firefox to see if you can
diagnose the
problem.

Cheers,
Robert~
-----------------------
Glad to hear it wasn't just me...

I installed Firebug as Robert suggested. I'm no Firebug expert, so
maybe missed something important, but didn't see anything that would
explain things here. Firebug did highlight the fact that swfdec 0.8.2
was being used, which made me wonder...looked at
http://swfdec.freedesktop.org but didn't find a clue.

I thought I might try uninstalling/reinstalling swfdec, but this was
complicated by the fact that I'd earlier tried to install Galeon (one
paged I'd Googled seemed to suggest Galeon might work better than
Firefox...). Using Synaptic, the install failed. Synaptic failed to
remove Galeon also. While this was in failure mode, couldn't
add/remove anything, so I clicked the Synaptic box that left Galeon
where it was. Trouble is, when I tried to now use Synaptic to
uninstall swfdec, it again failed, complaining of the problems with
Galeon (which seemed to be prompted only because Synaptic couldn't
find Galeon files to remove?)

Anyway, no joy so far.

I'm looking at deleting any reference I can find to Galeon via command
line. Anyone happen to know whether that would risk breaking Synaptic
or otherwise causing bigger problem than it might solve?

Thanks!